Thursday 27 January 2011

The great escape

Once Christmas had past, some of us starting considering alternative options to staying at the wildlife sanctuary. The high number of volunteers and a younger crowd that wanted to party were starting to grate and the experience wasn't quite what we had in mind when we booked it.

I decided that the last couple of weeks of my trip would be better spent seeing more of Namibia, which is reputedly one of the most beautiful countries in the world. So I booked myself on a camping tour - seven days around the north of the country and seven days around the south.

Over the next couple of days we said goodbye to various volunteers. Jack confessed to me before he left that he'd been throwing his used underpants into the leopard's enclosure for the previous five days - as a ruse to make the staff think that the leopard had eaten someone. He claimed that the underpants had been removed each day, but no one said a thing.

I knew straight off that this couldn't be true as no guy takes that many pairs of underpants on holiday with him. But we did muse that it would have been funny to have put the underpants on the leopard. Then when the next lot of guests were being taken round (eg. Brad and Ange), the guide would have been in the middle of explaining that you can never trust a leopard as they always revert to being wild, when a leopard would strut past in a pair of Calvin Kleins..

Nothing comes between me and my Calvins

No comments:

Post a Comment