Saturday 20 November 2010

Community projects

Another key aspect of the voluntary work is to help with community projects. The Amakhala Game Reserve supports the local Isipho Centre for orphans and vulnerable children. Volunteers visit the centre twice a week to play with the children, help educate them, work with them in the vegetable garden and generally provide a bit of love and affection.

This will certainly stretch me out of my comfort zone as I have limited experience of being around children. My kit lists recommends that I bring an old shirt and trousers "in case of painting with the children". It's been quite a while since I last did any finger-painting.

I am also conscious that it could be quite an emotional experience. I'm mindful of an article that I read recently which criticised short-term voluntary work for being more harmful to the local community than beneficial, because the children start to form bonds with volunteers who then return home within a few weeks. The volunteers feel gratified at having made a connection with the orphans, while the children then experience abandonment of another sort. I guess I can only judge for myself when I get there.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/hubs/gapyear/8107555/Volunteer-holidays-do-more-harm-than-good.html#dsq-content

No comments:

Post a Comment