Saturday 18 December 2010

Downtown Paterson

This is my last weekend in South Africa as I leave for Namibia on Monday. The last four weeks seem to have flown by, but leave me with some cherished memories that will stay with me forever. I did my last drive around the reserve on Friday afternoon, eager to point out all the bits that will need some road maintenance next week - happy in the knowledge that it won't be me that has to swing the pickaxe.

The volunteer house has come to feel like home during my time here. Basic though it is, it has a very friendly atmosphere and the two dogs definitely contribute to this by attaching themselves to whoever comes to stay. Lady used to belong to another family down the road, but decided that there was much more excitement at the volunteer house and came to live here. Odi was a stray dog and used to hang out at the local bar just behind the house. One of the game rangers took him in and he has lived at the house ever since. Both dogs have made themselves quite at home and join us when we go to the bar of an evening, where the landlady does an awesome steak, egg and chips on the weekend.

Downtown Paterson is a small rural town, which has the essential facilities but is a very poor area. Indeed, when I explained to the landlady that I was attracted to come to Africa because it has a mystical quality, she quickly pointed out "there is nothing mystical about Paterson". True.

The volunteer house

The front of the house

Odi and Lady

The local bar just behind the house

The main street through Paterson

The orphanage

The grain store


Target marketing!

Paterson's answer to Starbucks & MacDonalds


1 comment:

  1. Well, at least Odi and Lady have some sort of mystical gaze. Have a safe trip to Namibia.

    ReplyDelete