Sunday 20 February 2011

Swakopmund

For the last few days of my adventure, I decided to hang out on the beach at Swakopmund. This meant another four hour drive from Windhoek, but it's got a lot more going for it than the capital city. There is not much in the way of public transport in Namibia, so I'd booked myself on a private mini-bus and was quite relieved when it actually turned up at the guest house the next morning to pick me up.

It's not unusual for Swakopmund to be enveloped in a light sea fog which gives the impression of fine rain. It was like this when I arrived. Within a few hours the sun had broken through, but the coastal winds mislead you into thinking that it's not that hot. I realised that I didn't have my suncream with me, but thought I would be fine wandering along the beach for a short walk. It was only when I returned to my hotel that I could see the redness on my face contrasted against the lighter skin around my eyes where my sunglasses had been, making me look like some endangered species of red panda.

Swakopmund is a blissfully relaxing place to hang out in. And I spent my last few days wandering around, taking photos of the jetty, sitting in cafés, people-watching and failing miserably to resist the temptation of chocolate brownies.













No comments:

Post a Comment